Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Thrilling Twist on Summer Pops

June’s issue of the magazine Body and Soul (http://www.wholeliving.com)/, had these three VERY EXCITING popsicle recipes. Besides the artificial colors and horrendous sweeteners you are avoiding, you are getting lots of vitamins and minerals. And the flavors are so odd!…aren’t you curious?

For each of these recipes below, combine the fruit, herb or spice, and a dash of salt in a blender on high for 30 seconds, until smooth. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for six hours.

Honeydew-Basil
Mix 4 cups of honeydew melon cubes with ¼ cup of chopped fresh basil and ½ cup organic frozen lemonade concentrate.

Pineapple-Cinnamon
3 cups of fresh pineapple chunks, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ cup fresh orange juice.

Mango-Parsley
Combine 1 ripe mango and ½ cup loosely packed chopped parsley. If the mango isn’t ripe, add ¼ cup organic frozen lemonade concentrate.
(I have a suggestion – use 2 mangos, same amount of parsley, and ¼ to ½ of the lemonade concentrate even if the mangos are ripe. This way the pops come out juicier rather than like a frozen mango.)

I tried the honeydew-basil pops which were my favorite. I also tried the pineapple-cinnamon flavor but my blender didn’t blend it properly so the texture was weird. The flavor was very nice though and I am sure they would have been delicious if my blender cooperated. The mango ones were interesting and I would change the recipe slightly like I mentioned above.

No comments: